PRODUCTION

 

 

 In the thirties of the twentieth century, a descendant of an old Belgrade family, Nikola Stanković, graduated from the Technical  Faculty and found employment in the defence production sector of ''Railway Cars, Machines and Bridge Construction Factory'' in the town of Slavonski Brod. At that time, the military began, due to overloaded state enterprises, to give up a part of armaments, pyrotechnic compositions and ammunition production to the private sector. Stanković saw this as a chance to get independent. In the course of 1935, he bought up the old barracks in Višegrad, and in Sarajevo, the center of the Drina Province, he registered his own firm, ''Višegradska industrija inž. Stanković AD'' (Višegrad Industry of Eng. Stanković AD (abbreviated to ''VISTAD'') and started up production of fuzes and pyrotechnic compositions. On April 11, 1935, the Ministry of Army of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia made a licence agreement for production of 81 mm mortar Stokes-Brandt M.31 with the French firm ''Edgar Brandt''. The line for production of weapons was to be set up in the VTZ of Kragujevac (Military Engineering Enterprise), while the contract for production of shells and fuzes had to be given up to a private firm. Wishing to get that profitable business, Stanković decided to start up a new facility in a more suitable place with better communications and closer to the military and industrial complex of Kragujevac. In the summer of 1937, he laid a cornerstone of the branch facility of the main enterprise in Višegrad. The new plants were equipped with modern machines of German ( ''Chr.Majer'', Tübingen a/Neckar, Baden-Württenberg) and Czech  origin (''Vlašin-Praha'', i.e. 'Wlaschiner Maschinenfabrik GmbH, Prag)''. The joint expert board of the Ministries of Army and Navy, and of Trade and Industry, Municipality of Valjevo and the Province Government in Sarajevo, gave their opinion on 16th December 1938 that the new plants satisfy legal and technical standards. Pursuant to the Decision of the Royal Province Government in Sarajevo of 19th December 1938, the Industry and Crafts Department of the Ministry of Trade and Industry issued a licence, on 22nd February 1939, stating that the firm ''Višegradska industrija inž.Stanković A.D.''... may perform the industrial operation of primer making in the shop VISTAD in Valjevo-Krušik''. Since that moment, Valjevo had  gained a monopoly on production of No. 8 primers.

Taking over of 81mm mortar shell production enabled VISTAD to penetrate into the civilian market. Namely, ''blank'' Cal.12 hunting catridges, with the Gevelot primer, and 8 g of ballistite were used as ignition cartidges for the shells. With the assistance of experts from the Užice FOMU, Stanković set up a production line for ignition cartridges in Valjevo. The components of those mortar shell cartridges were also used to start up the production of hunting cartridges.

When the Višegrad plant found itself in the territory of the newly formed Independent State of Croatia, all machines were concentrated in Valjevo, on the approval of Germany, and the concern name was changed into ''Valjevska industrija inž. Stankovića A.D.'' (Valjevo Industry of Eng.Stanković A.D.). Owing to Stanković's efforts, the production of fuzes, automobile and cart parts, and farming tools, although reduced, was practically not suspended during the occupation. That is why after the liberation VISTAD was practically the only enterprise from the former military and industrial complex which had the capabilities to immediately continue with production for the requirements of the People's Liberation Army of Yugoslavia. As early as 30th March 1945, the Army was supplied with 200,000 pieces of M.38, M.38/45 and M.45 hand grenades.

For the purposes of planned military economy, the Presidency of the Ministerial Board of the Democratic Federal Yugoslavia had placed 11 factories, including Vistad of Valjevo, under the Ministry of National Defence control. On 10th July, 1945, the firm name was accordingly changed into the ''VTZ Valjevo'' (Military Engineering Enterprise Valjevo), and since 23rd January 1948, the enterprise has been registered under a new name  of ''Krušik''.

Owing to the highly qualified personnel and preserved or renewed capacities, Krušik soon became one of the leading firms of the military and industrial complex.  Successful integration into the offshore programme enabled fast penetration into foreign market. It is especially significant that Krušik relatively quickly adapted to aggravated market conditions resulting from a decrease in defence production volume. The mid-fifties were marked with the beginning of production development and extension of the range of products intended for the civilian market. Also, in the post-war period, Krušik did not neglect production of hunting ammunition, and already proven quality guaranteed a penetration not only into the domestic, but into foreign markets as well.

It was only in 1993 that the Krušik Holding Company made a decision to establish a separate joint-stock company within its structure, under the name of ''Krušik – FLM'' (Hunting Ammunition Plant). The framework of the Company's production programme was made of manufacture of hunting shot ammunition, sub-assemblies for defence production, as well as production of industrial safety equipment. Many years of experience of the employees in the defence production, with the emphasis on the technological discipline, contribute to the development of new products. The period form the middle to the end of the nineties was marked with an expansion in the development and extension of hunting ammunition range. Up until the end of the nineties, ''Krušik-FLM'' produced 22 types of rounds in calibre 12, 6 types in calibre 16, 3 types in calibre 20, and one type in calibre 28, 7 types of special purpose ammunition, developed a programme of paper components and industrial safety equipment.

In the year of its 60th anniversary in 1999, Krušik suffered heavy destruction during the NATO aggression on the FR Yugoslavia. The joint-stock company ''Hunting Ammunition Plant'' was left without 80% of available infrastructure. The FLM employees revitalised on their own the only remaining production facility, and one month after the end of aggression renewed the production, which had achieved its complete range by the end of 1999.

            Today, Krušik is the only Yugoslav producer of hunting ammunition with more than six decades of tradition and 55 years of experience in mass production of hunting ammunition, which is yet another guarantee for its quality. The joint-stock company ''Hunting Ammunition Plant'' has 58 machines and units for production at its disposal, the most important machines being the ones made by Majer and Ramba, and 60 employees. It also has an organised Test Station as a function of research, development and quality assurance. The market potential of the FR Yugoslavia and its neighbours, as well as the competition, make FLM stand firmly in the position of the leader among the ammunition producers in this area, which means that 50% of its production satisfies the domestic market, and the remainder is directed to export and defence production.

 

 The motto of the employees of ''Krušik-Hunting Ammunition Plant'' is tradition and quality, and a part of the production programme is presented in this catalogue.

site map                                                                                            2.